Mocean's annual choreographic lab CLEaR Forum, Photo by Kevin MacCormack

Monday 2 February 2015

The Creative Process is Similar to Life Itself...

As I sit here and peel off my dirty socks after a productive day in the studio I begin to reflect on everything that is taking place in my life right now. After a long fall season with little dance in my life it feels uplifting, rejuvenating to be back in the dance studio - home territory. I am beginning to feel at ease with the choices I have made recently as all the puzzle pieces are beginning to shape up.

I decided to take Moccean Dance’s “Emerge” contract over a luxurious, sandy beach, piña colada contract in the Bahamas where my bias spectators were cheering me to go. I am sure it would be nice to be taken care of 24/7 and never have to worry about what I am going to have to make for dinner or how I am going to get to work, but what’s the creativity in that? That is why I am happy today to be working through something rather than being presented the finished product all the time.


The creative process is similar to life itself, or mine anyway.  Currently my life has a sense of insecurity and unknown that I am curious to explore and take risky leaps. I’m beginning to believe that the final consensus is less interesting than the adventure taken to discover what it is your searching for. There is fulfillment in playing around and trying new things, which is exactly what we have been bringing to the studio.

It has been a magical week back at Halifax Dance working with three of my close friends. There is a familiar bond between us that brings up old memories while creating new ones. I am so thrilled to be creating new works with inspiring young women alike. We work well together because of our level of familiarity and sister-ness. I have known Vivika, Georgia and Sarah for quite some time now and I can read when one of them isn’t “feeling it” or needs a change of pace. I am excited to see which direction our new works takes and what affect it will have on viewers.

~Olivia Aubrecht

No comments:

Post a Comment