Mocean's annual choreographic lab CLEaR Forum, Photo by Kevin MacCormack

Monday 23 February 2015

Creating Balance, Patience and Respect

And that’s a wrap folks.

The theatre lights came up and the show came to a close. I stood backstage for a minute and felt a sense of accomplishment splash over me. What a wonderful experience, I have grown- whatever that means I'm not sure.

Kinetic Studio Performance, Feb 21-22
Dancing as a professional versus dancing for my BFA are two totally different experiences. I was expected during my time in school to work myself physically to death to achieve some sort of recognition. This is not the case. It is important to listen to your body and take it easy when it needs it- mindfulness and creativity are much more powerful. I learned some extremely beneficial movement therapies/teachings with Sara Coffin & Kelly Keenan that will endure my dance career (I know I’m only 22, but better sooner than later). I also learned practical tips about surviving as an artist - grant proposals and taxes, yay!

The final product of our performance was a distant cousin of our first draft. The changes that happened the last week of rehearsal made a tremendous impact on our finished product. Figuring out the music, costuming and lighting really helped bring everything together, but I think it was our tech dress that we found the true, underlying, authentic intention of the piece.  The first performance on stage is always interesting and a bit shakier, but as the shows continue the nerves pass and something magical starts to happen.

I have never felt more comfortable sharing the stage than I did with Georgia, Vivika and Sarah. We have created balance, patience and respect for one another that I look forward too playing with again in the future.

Olivia Aubrecht

The Emerge Program is supported by: 
the Province of Nova Scotia Department of Communities, Culture & Heritage,
RBC Emerging Artist Foundation and Kinetic Studio. 


  
 




No comments:

Post a Comment