Mocean's annual choreographic lab CLEaR Forum, Photo by Kevin MacCormack

Tuesday 14 February 2012

The human head weights 8lbs, letting go and finding trust

Another posting from inside the Gen Y Studio, a reflection on the creative process, being yourself and building trust. Thanks for sharing to my Gen-Yers!!

In the Gen Y Studio, writing memories as part of the creative process.

Gen y for me has been a real learning experience, even though Sara had been my teacher before Gen y, I felt like I learned more about the constructive process and a different style of modern dance compared to my usual. This year was my first year doing Gen y and being the youngest one there I definitely have had some insecurities about whether or not I’m doing it right or if other people are watching me to make sure I am doing it right. But after a few rehearsals and all of us just getting to know each other better I feel free to get into the movement and really think about what I’m doing instead of being insecure about whether or not someone is criticizing me.


One of the things that I find always helps me during Gen y and all of my other classes is; in my minds eye thinking of all of my distil ends (even my head) either reaching out or relaxing (letting your head go can really be a lot harder then you’d think it is!) Also we do a lot of partner work in Gen y and I haven’t done a lot in the past but the analogies and descriptions Sara uses really help me and my partner understand the movement, or choreography.


Finally in Gen y I have gotten the chance to meet some new people and reconnect with old friends from past shows and productions. I find with dance in general it forces you to get closer faster maybe with totally complete strangers that you have never danced with before! Even though we all only met about 5 or 6 weeks ago we completely can just give each other our weight and trust that we (hopefully!!) will not drop each other! 


Mocean's Gen Y Project is graciously supported through the Nova Scotia Department of Communities, Culture and Heritage Cultural Opportunities for Youth Program and the RBC Emerging Artist Program. 


No comments:

Post a Comment