Mocean's annual choreographic lab CLEaR Forum, Photo by Kevin MacCormack

Saturday 10 September 2011

New Season, New Beginnings, Stronger Tides

The dust has settled from the company's recent milestone marker and celebration of Mocean Dance's first decade with the acclaimed Decennium production. Where long-time company followers were able to re-cap some of Mocean's most memorable works and new fans got the quick best of the best.

A new chapter is about to begin, and tomorrow the 2011-2012 season will kick off in full swing. This season you may notice a convergence of a few tidal surges with some common faces going to new places.

I, Sara Coffin have finally found my way back to the East Coast and will be riding the Atlantic waters for the year. I am very excited to take the role of Interim Artistic Director for the season and looking forward to sinking my feet into the sand a little longer this time, as I direct the company and take a pause from my west coast living. It feels great to be breathing that Atlantic air again, rediscovering my home town like its a whole new place and adding my artistic influences into the community.

The company's first project this season is a new creation with Canadian icon Tedd Robinson. Together with the company dancers, we will travel to Ottawa and spend a 10 day creative residency at La B.A.R.N. for the first leg of the creation process. Joining me for the 11th season will be company dancers: Jacinte Armstrong, Rhonda Baker, Susanne Chui, and Ruth-Ellen Kroll Jackson.

at La B.A.R.N. just outside Ottawa, the home of 10 Gates Dancing Inc.

Stayed tuned via the new re-vamped blog and check in on the creation as it develops. I will be posting our discoveries along the way and keeping the community abreast while we work.

The final work is set to premiere January 19-21, 2012 as part of the Live Art Dance Productions' exciting season line-up. I hope you stay tuned and watch Mocean on the Move go to new places!

No comments:

Post a Comment